Foundation Meeting Minutes

Friends of the Woodward Public Library Foundation
April 15, 2014

The meeting was called to order and those in attendance were: Donna Julseth, Paul Mueller, Nancy Philben, Gina Calonkey, Elaine Fleeger, and John Maier. Minutes of the last meeting were send out online and approved at the meeting.

Order of Business:
1. The furniture has been ordered and will be delivered some time during the next week. We are all anxious to see it.
2. Nancy Philben shared the quarterly reports on the investment funds, they are doing very well.
3. Programming for Friends n Neighbors Day was discussed. Elaine will work on designing and getting a banner for the Foundation to use to identify us. It is tentatively planned to have a tent and presenters who will do interactive programs from 1 – 3 pm. In conjunction with the program there will be a reading activity in which patrons participating can earn ice cream from Picket Fence. Elaine is working on a sign up and information sheet, and Donna will make coupons to be redeemed for the prizes of various sizes of ice cream. Rules of the program will be handed out at Friends n Neighbor’s Day during our event.
4. John Maier talked about searching for a consultant to help determine the computer needs for the Library for the next round of grants.
5. The Library was awarded $2550.00 from the Mryna Mayfield Trust for magazine racks and programming.
The meeting was adjourned.

Submitted by Donna Julseth

 

Friends of the Woodward Public Library Foundation

November 19, 2013

 

The meeting was called to orderand those in attendance were:  Donna Julseth, Paul Mueller, Nancy Philben, Gina Calonkey, John Maier, and Stephanie York.  Minutes of the last meeting were handed out and approved.

Order of Business:

  1.  Paul Mueller has purchased a rack holder for the display board in the entryway.  It was decided to go withrack that will hold two rack cards.  It will cost about $55 to print off 250 copies.  One rack card will contain contact information, purpose of the Foundation and the mission statement.  The other rack card will list information on how to donate and projects that has been funded by the Foundation.  Gina Calonkey will ask the City Council, perhaps Paul Thompson, if we could also place these cards at the Depot.
  2. Stephanie York shared that a first edition book was donated to the Library and asked if anyone would like to see about its sale with the proceeds to go to the Library.
  3. The quarterly earning statements for the investment accounts were shared.  The Library Board gave recommendations and suggestions for the areas being considered for new furniture and Stephanie York had hand outs for dimensions for those areas.
  4. Nancy Philben has been working with a firm and designer on the furniture for the teen area.  It was decided to focus on one area at a timeand the first would be the teen area.  Nancy had several ideas and after sharing and getting feedback and specific dimensions for space and a general idea of how much to spend she will get back with the designer for more specific plans for the Foundation to present to the Library.
  5. Fundraising options were discussed.  It was suggested to combine a fundraiser with a beverage and dessert for a fee and to coordinate that with new books coming in.  Maybe make it a monthly event.
  6. Paul Mueller had contact information for a volunteer group that does Iowa History programming.  The Foundation would like to have them come in the spring and present a program in Woodward, maybe along the Bike Trail.

The meeting was adjourned.

Submitted by Donna Julseth

Friends of the Woodward Public Library Foundation

September 24, 2013

 

The meeting was called to order and those in attendance were:  Donna Julseth, Paul Mueller, Elaine Fleeger, Nancy Philben, and Stephanie York.  Minutes of the last meeting were handed out and approved.

Order of Business:

  1.  Programming was basically declared a disaster, very poor attendance and it was decided to suspend any future programs until we figure out how to generate more interest in them.

Paul has made contact with a group of volunteers from Adel that give free programs in Iowa history.  It was decided to see about a program with them for the spring of 2014 perhaps at the Depot.

  1. Nancy has met with Troy Thompson and he has passed along the information that the Foundation investments were making money and he was available any time to answer any questions we might have.
  2. It was decided to ask Gina Calonkey if she would be interested in serving on the Foundation.
  3. The Foundation would like to encourage “lingering” in the Library by offering a comfortable seating arrangement and beverage area for the front of the Library.  Nancy Philben had several ideas but we need more input from the Board.  Donna will contact John and ask for what areas they would like to see used for this purpose.
  4. The board for the entry way was discussed.
  5. Stephanie will be keeping track of copies as to paid or for public use.  She also said it would be beneficial if we had a specific project that money from the donation jar was to be used towards.

The meeting was adjourned.

Submitted by Donna Julseth

Friends of the Woodward Public Library Foundation

June 4, 2013

The meeting was called to order and those in attendance were:  Donna Julseth, Paul Mueller, Elaine Fleeger, Nancy Philben, Terri Danilson, and Linda Weir.  Minutes of the last meeting were handed out and approved.

Order of Business:

  1.  Programs were discussed, it was decided to have family programming about geology at Voas Nature Center in July, a water quality program in August, and a Spices program in September.

It was also decided that it would be a good idea to tie programming into the middle and high school curriculum if possible to encourage 6th – 12th youth participation.  Linda Weir suggested Scott Chapman be contacted as he is in charge of the “Silver Cord” program at the high school in which students are required to do public service as part of their graduation requirements.

  1. Fundraising ideas were discussed.  Upcoming events include RAGBRAI, Friends n Neighbors Day, and an Archeology/Native American event.  Paul Mueller will be the liaison between those events and the Foundation.
  2. Volunteers would be a wonderful addition to the Library and Gina McClonkey is interested in helping in this respect.
  3. Use of fundraising money was discussed.  The Foundation would like to encourage “lingering” in the Library by offering a comfortable seating arrangement and beverage area for the front of the Library.  Nancy Philben has volunteered to check into various ideas we can then take to the Library Board.
  4. To increase public awareness of the existence and purpose of the Foundation we would like to approach the Board about space in the entry way dedicated to promoting the Foundation.
  5. Use of the copier was discussed and it was decided that it would be beneficial to know how many copies are for used for the public and how many were paid for by businesses or for private uses.

The meeting was adjourned.

Submitted by Donna Julseth

 

Friends of the Woodward Public Library Foundation

January 22, 2013

The Foundation met at the Library at 6:00 pm. All members were present: Jill Pickell, Elaine Fleeger, Donna Julseth, Paul Mueller, Nancy Philben, and guest Troy Thompson, financial advisor.

Troy Thompson updated the board on their long term investment and papers were presented to be completed to update the names on the investment account. It was also decided that a CD that was to mature on February 10, 2013 be transferred to an investment account when it came due. It was also decided to add two more signatures to the banking account.

Election of officers:

President: Donna Julseth

Vice President: Paul Mueller

Secretary: Jill Pickell

Treasure: Nancy Philben

Investment Coordinator: Elaine Fleeger

A discussion followed concerning the policies and procedures for the Library Board to request funds from the Foundation for non-designated donations. The Foundation will meet with the Library Board on February 4th to meet the Board and present the procedures.

It was brought to the attention of the Foundation that when programs are presented and the Library is closed there needs to be some system in place so people attending the programs recognize that the Library is open.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: